Subject: bug#66554: [PATCH] Add the public API of Compat to the core

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 09:06:34 +0100

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Thanks. I also want to make sure that we specify the Compat version
>> somewhere in the package builtins, such that Compat won't be installed
>> if it is not needed, e.g., when a package requires (compat "30.1.x") and
>> is installed on Emacs 30. Philip, what is needed to achieve this? It
>> seems to me that this is not yet handled in the proposed patch.
>
> If I am not mistaken, all we would have to do is to adjust the version
> number in the patch to the current Emacs version -- and update it
> whenever Emacs is updated.  I have a slight concern that this could be
> easily forgotten, if it isn't hooked into some update scripts.

Okay, I see. The specified version should probably be something like
30.1.999 to make sure that packages requiring any Compat 30.1.x version
will not download the ELPA package?

Is there a place where we could add a warning to make sure that bumping
the version won't be forgotten?

Daniel