Subject: bug#66554: [PATCH] Add the public API of Compat to the core

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 07:54:58 +0000

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-10/msg00260.html
>>> for the background behind this proposal.
>>
>> I'm fine with this, and see the same benefits as described above.
>>
>> I'd like to hear if Eli and Stefan M has anything to add, though, so I'm
>> copying them in here.
>
> Thanks. I also want to make sure that we specify the Compat version
> somewhere in the package builtins, such that Compat won't be installed
> if it is not needed, e.g., when a package requires (compat "30.1.x") and
> is installed on Emacs 30. Philip, what is needed to achieve this? It
> seems to me that this is not yet handled in the proposed patch.

If I am not mistaken, all we would have to do is to adjust the version
number in the patch to the current Emacs version -- and update it
whenever Emacs is updated.  I have a slight concern that this could be
easily forgotten, if it isn't hooked into some update scripts.

> Daniel