Subject: Re: [bug#66525] [PATCH 1/7] gnu: mutter: Remove dependency on (guix build syscalls).

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:16:40 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> I think it could go to core-updates since we're already prepping the
>>> branch.  It may give some respite to the berlin aarch64 workers, which
>>> have been working non-stop for days or weeks.
>>
>> Yeah, it’s a tempting option in terms of resource usage, but less in
>> terms of legibility of the whole process.  Dunno.
>
> Yeah, for resource usage, bundling this to core-updates makes sense,
> especially since it should only affect running the test suite of the
> packages touched, not their output.

OTOH, my initial motivation was to apply patches to syscalls.scm that
have been queued for quite a while already:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66055
  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66054
  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65546

I fear that bundling it with ‘core-updates’ would delay it by several
more months.

Resource usage is a concern due to the low AArch64 build power, but it’s
not too bad lately, even with ‘rust-team’ and ‘gnome-team’ updates:

  https://ci.guix.gnu.org/metrics

So overall, I think I have a preference for making a dedicated branch
and queueing a branch merge request.  (I think it’s also good to use
that process more widely.)

WDYT?

Ludo’.