Subject: Re: bug#66503: 29.1; Problem rendering Arabic diacriticals

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 09:30:17 -0700

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have found a workaround: By typing “shadda followed by fatha” instead of
> “fatha followed by shadda”, my Emacs renders it correctly. Here are the two
> different lines:
>
> لَنَهْدِيَنَّهُمْ
> لَنَهْدِيَنَّهُمْ
>
> In Mellel these are both rendered the same, but (my) Emacs treats them quite
> differently.

FWIW, I see the same here: the above lines are rendered differently in
Emacs, but in the same way in the default macOS Notes application.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.7 (Build 21G816)) of 2023-10-10 built on
 Newton.local
Repository revision: b4b80fcab8891e1221323fefd0e69be217044bf4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.7

Configured using:
 'configure 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/llvm/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/libffi/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/llvm/lib
 -L/usr/local/opt/libffi/lib''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM ZLIB