Subject: Re: bug#66501: 29.1; gnus-home-directory

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:10:36 -0700

On 10/12/23 21:24 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Okt 12 2023, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> If that isn't sufficient, this is what I had to do in gnus-mock to make
>>> sure absolutely all Gnus-related everything went in the same directory:
>>>
>>> (setq some-directory "~/.config/emacs/gnus"
>>>       gnus-home-directory some-directory
>>>       gnus-directory (expand-file-name "News/" some-directory)
>>>       message-directory some-directory
>>>       gnus-startup-file (expand-file-name ".newsrc" some-directory)
>>>       gnus-init-file (expand-file-name ".gnus.el" some-directory)
>>>       nndraft-directory (expand-file-name "drafts/" some-directory)
>>>       gnus-agent-directory (expand-file-name "agent/" some-directory))
>>
>> Is it really supposed to be this hard to customize?
>
> No.  Just setting gnus-home-directory is enough (though it needs to be
> set before loading gnus).

There might have been some gnus-mock-specific reason why I was doing all
that, but at this point I can't remember. I'll be curious to know if
Deepak can solve his issue by setting `gnus-home-directory' in his
(non-Gnus) init file. I suppose you'd need to set it before loading any
package that might require Gnus, as well.