Subject: Wrong ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ package used on GNU/Hurd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:42:53 +0200

Hi!

We discussed it briefly on IRC the other day: our packages get built on
i586-gnu with the wrong ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ package (2.35 instead of
2.37), which causes Coreutils among others to fail to build:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
environment variable `GUIX_LOCPATH' set to `/gnu/store/sq6w1nfi59askjfq6b1nqq6z8ld5zh1l-glibc-utf8-locales-2.35/lib/locale'
phase `set-paths' succeeded after 0.0 seconds
starting phase `install-locale'
warning: failed to install 'en_US.utf8' locale: Invalid argument
phase `install-locale' succeeded after 0.0 seconds
[…]
starting phase `remove-tests'
error: in phase 'remove-tests': uncaught exception:
decoding-error "decode-char" "input decoding error" 1073741930 #<input: tests/misc/ls-misc.pl 15> 
phase `remove-tests' failed after 0.1 seconds
[…]
builder for `/gnu/store/vvp0yxvyxsrwmmzli7dsxinr6p9ba3mj-coreutils-9.1.drv' failed with exit code 1
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

(This is from <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2062597/details>, made with
commit cdbd81ce144f17644ceebd3d08723aa244696a05.)

So we need a better fix than the local workaround in
21deb89e287b5821975544118bf137562a91d4e1.

Thoughts?  Perhaps you’ve looked into it already?

Ludo’.