Subject: Re: bug#66472: Wrong ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ package used on GNU/Hurd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:34:23 +0200

Hi,

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

[...]

>> Anyway, in both cases the core issue remains: we’re building packages
>> with the wrong locale data.
>>
>> The mismatch comes from the fact that ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ is a
>> system-independent package: you get 2.35 regardless of the system you’re
>> targeting.
>
> Right.  Is that easy, difficult, or impossible to change?

We could define ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ with ‘define/system-dependent’, as
we’ve done in commencement.scm.  However, I don’t think that’s feasible
because then every place that does:

  (module-ref (resolve-interface '(gnu packages base))
              'glibc-utf8-locales)

will suddenly be broken, and that’s not acceptable.

So I’m not sure what to do.  Again I feel that maintaining two libc
variants is too costly.  Time to upgrade in ‘core-updates’?

Ludo’.