Subject: bug#66472: Wrong ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ package used on GNU/Hurd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:41:21 +0200

Hi,

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> starting phase `remove-tests'
>> error: in phase 'remove-tests': uncaught exception:
>> decoding-error "decode-char" "input decoding error" 1073741930 #<input: tests/misc/ls-misc.pl 15> 

[...]

> Hmm.  I've briefly looked at this but failed to reproduce it.  I've
> tried building coreutils, and coreutils-final in a childhurd created
> from "a recent" hurd-team branch.
>
> root@guixydevel ~/src/guix/hurd-team [env]# ./pre-inst-env guix build --keep-failed -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) coreutils-final)' --without-tests=coreutils
> [..]
> environment variable `GUIX_LOCPATH' set to `/gnu/store/sq6w1nfi59askjfq6b1nqq6z8ld5zh1l-glibc-utf8-locales-2.35/lib/locale'
> [..]
> phase `unpack' succeeded after 10.4 seconds
> starting phase `remove-tests'
> phase `remove-tests' succeeded after 0.5 seconds

Maybe something differs on ‘hurd-team’?  For me it’s 100% reproducible
on ‘master’, even though my childhurd has
/run/current-system/locale/2.37 (I thought this could interfere but
luckily it doesn’t.)

Anyway, in both cases the core issue remains: we’re building packages
with the wrong locale data.

The mismatch comes from the fact that ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ is a
system-independent package: you get 2.35 regardless of the system you’re
targeting.

Thanks,
Ludo’.