Subject: Re: bug#66450: 29.1; Debbugs/Gnus sometimes corrupt git formatted patches

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:12:34 -0700

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>> If we worry about backward compatibility, perhaps we could add a
>>>> defcustom variable that'd be named
>>>> e.g. 'gnus-always-process-raw-message' or similar, that'd do what its
>>>> name says (e.g. when using 'pipe' or save-article, it'd process the raw
>>>> message).  Eventually, it could be made the default behavior, if it has
>>>> enough support.
>>>>
>>>> I could try implementing that, if it seems a good idea?
>>>
>>> I guess I think a whole option just for this would be overkill,
>>> particularly since it's only the pipe command that even offers the
>>> possibility of toggling raw/treated. I suppose we could float a query on
>>> gnus.general and see if anyone has a preference (I'd be interested in
>>> seeing how many people are actually aware of the symbolic prefix), and
>>> maybe call that good enough as a user survey.
>>
>> Maybe we can try that; the only Gnus mailing list I can find is
>> info-gnus-english; is there a more suitable one?
>
> I've already asked! It's on the emacs.gnus.general newsgroup, which used
> to have an HTML archive available on the web, but I guess doesn't
> anymore. The responses haven't been flooding in, but so far all in favor
> of changing the default.

We ended up not getting much in the way of response, and I'm kind of
reluctant to mess with things here. The thing that would probably make
most sense is allowing all the article savers to accept a "r" symbolic
argument to control raw-or-not, then default the pipe command to raw.
Otherwise this is the only command that takes a special modifier to use
the raw article and then... we default to raw. It doesn't quite make
sense!

I'm going to close this bug report, but Maxim if you feel very strongly
about this please re-open.

Thanks,
Eric