Subject: bug#66450: 29.1; Debbugs/Gnus sometimes corrupt git formatted patches

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:35:04 -0400

Hi again,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Gnus is treating the article with the `gnus-display-mime' treatment
>> function, which ends up inserting newlines between detected MIME parts,
>> in order to look "nice". It's not necessary to save the article to see
>> this: the newlines are present if you just open Bruno's message and look
>> at it. If you run `gnus-summary-show-raw-article', you'll see the
>> original raw article with no newlines.
>>
>> The problem is that the Gnus summary "save-article" commands operate on
>> the treated article, not the raw article.
>
> It'd be nice if that 'gnus-display-mime' procedure tried hard to *not*
> break 'git format-patch' messages; perhaps it could use a simple
> heuristic to do so.  Out of the 63 patches in the series linked in the
> reproducer steps, only patch 10/63 was corrupted by it, so it appears to
> be a relatively rare occurrence.

To follow-up on that, it seems the case likely to break with
'gnus-display-mime' is when a 'git format-patch' (or maybe even just a
plain 'patch' one) includes patches, such as in the 10/63 patch above.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim