Subject: [bug#66436] [PATCH v2] doc: Add some guidelines for reviewing.

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:12:11 +0200

Hi,

These are a few questions regarding reviewing.

1. What should the reviewer do with old-style patches, like the ones
   that don't use G-Expressions?  Should we tell the submitter to use
   them when possible or is it only a matter of style that is up to the
   submitter?  Obviously they are hard to grasp for newcomers.

   It's probably good for newcomers if we teach them how to use
   G-Expressions but we don't really have time to do so, given the
   number of patches waiting to be reviewed.

   This question could be extended to style issues.  Like using %var
   versus var.

2. What should the reviewer do when only small changes are required?
   The reviewer could do these changes in seconds whereas asking for a
   new revision could take days.  These changes could be indentation
   fixes, removing of unused code, but they could also be more
   substantial, like adding a missing `file-name` field.  Or changing
   old-style to G-Expressions?

   If the reviewer makes such changes and pushes them right away, I
   imagine they should be documented and explained.

3. Should the reviewer run the program being packaged?  The above
   guidelines speak about applying, reading, building and linting but
   not running.  (Making sure it works as expected.)

Thanks,
Clément