Subject: Re: [bug#66430] [PATCH] doc: Mention the responsibilities that blocking comes with.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:17:22 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 at 23:10, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> +@url{https://www.seedsforchange.org.uk/consensus}.  The project uses the
>> +@samp{Requiring people who block to help find solutions} block variant,
>> +which means a participant wishing to block a proposal bears a
>> +special responsibility for finding alternatives and proposing ideas/code
>> +to resolve the deadlock.
>
> I’m unsure about this.  A situation I have in mind is this: a volunteer
> writes a review describing issues with a proposed change that have no
> obvious solution, or rejecting the change altogether (for instance
> because it’s deemed outside the scope of the project or tool).
>
> How would one interpret the reviewer’s responsibility in this case?

Using the wording I am proposing [1], the case would be solved by
“significant concerns”, “can live with”, “actively” and “special
responsibility for finding alternatives”.

Well, this wording [1] tries to capture Maxim’s answer [2], I guess.

Somehow, it is an attempt to 1. summarize what consensus means,
and 2. clarify that blocking also implies actively being part of the
resolution.

Maybe, what is missing is explicitly mention the status quo case.  In my
mind it is covered by “finding alternatives” but maybe it would be
better to explicit mention it.  What do you think about this,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
It is expected from all contributors, and even more so from committers,
to help build consensus and make decisions based on consensus.  By using
consensus, we are committed to finding solutions that everyone can live
with.  It implies that no decision is made against significant concerns
and these concerns are actively resolved with proposals that work for
everyone.  A participant wishing to block a proposal bears a special
responsibility for finding alternatives, proposing ideas/code or
detailing the status quo to resolve the deadlock.  To learn what
consensus decision making means and understand its finer details, you
are encouraged to read <https://www.seedsforchange.org.uk/consensus>.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

?

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#66430] [PATCH] doc: Mention the responsibilities that blocking comes with.
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Wed, 11 Oct 2023 11:30:10 +0200
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org//66430
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

2: [bug#66430] [PATCH] doc: Mention the responsibilities that blocking comes with.
Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:08:53 -0400
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org//66430
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]