Subject: bug#66427: Conflict between Emacs version dependencies in AUCTeX code and GNU package archive

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:24:35 +0900

Hi Win,

>>>>> Win Treese <[email-masked]> writes:
> As far as I can tell, after AUCTeX 13.2, things were changed to
> require a minimum Emacs version of 26.1, which is fine. However, the
> GNU package archives system still advertises it as working for Emacs
> 25.1.

Thank you for reporting. I confirmed what you reported.

> This means that users can download 13.2.1, but it won’t run. If the
> package archive information is also updated, it won’t get downloaded.
> Could that be changed?

Looking at auctex.el in ELPA repository[1], it still has
;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "25.1"))
in the header. I suppose this is the culprit.

It seems that the change in auctex.el.in didn't propagate to auctex.el.
Tassilo, shouldn't the GNUmakefile[2] have a rule to generate auctex.el
from auctex.el.in? (Maybe that causes discrepancy in the copyright
header of the generated auctex.el diverging from what ELPA system
expects?)

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/auctex.el?h=externals/auctex#n9
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/GNUmakefile?h=externals/auctex

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine