Subject: bug#66427: Conflict between Emacs version dependencies in AUCTeX code and GNU package archive

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:36:54 +0200

Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi!

>> As far as I can tell, after AUCTeX 13.2, things were changed to
>> require a minimum Emacs version of 26.1, which is fine. However, the
>> GNU package archives system still advertises it as working for Emacs
>> 25.1.
>
> Thank you for reporting. I confirmed what you reported.
>
>> This means that users can download 13.2.1, but it won’t run. If the
>> package archive information is also updated, it won’t get downloaded.
>> Could that be changed?
>
> Looking at auctex.el in ELPA repository[1], it still has
> ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "25.1"))
> in the header. I suppose this is the culprit.

Indeed.

> It seems that the change in auctex.el.in didn't propagate to
> auctex.el.  Tassilo, shouldn't the GNUmakefile[2] have a rule to
> generate auctex.el from auctex.el.in? (Maybe that causes discrepancy
> in the copyright header of the generated auctex.el diverging from what
> ELPA system expects?)

Indeed, that would be nice.  However, only the committed auctex.el in
the ELPA version has a Version header.  Whenever that changes, a new
ELPA release is triggered.  So the rule would need to regenerate
auctex.el from auctex.el.in but inject the very same Version as the old
one had.

Well, in the end auctex.el is simple enough.  I just have to remember to
bump the emacs version when I merge after we've bumped the emacs version
on master...

I've done it now and merged from master.  Are you fine with pushing
another ELPA release now?

Bye,
Tassilo