Subject: 29.1; Crashes when visiting HELLO file with pgtk on Wayland

From: Yuchen Guo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 20:32:00 +0000

Emacs occasionally crashes when displaying multi-lingual text.  It has
crashed several times in the last few days, such as visiting HELLO file
or browsing a web page with eww.  Sometime it crashes immediately when
the HELLO file is visited,  other times it crashes when I scroll the
screen.

Worth mentioning is that, to deal with font fallback, I have configured
a custom fontset:
  https://codeberg.org/m0p/dotfiles/raw/commit/62d1a6008c0e391a33239a809aee92e4c03f14b5/imports/not-nix-config-files/emacs-init.el

I can not reliably reproduce the crash. In most cases, the text in HELLO
would be displayed with a delay.  The backtrace is the following:

Backtrace:
/bin/emacs(emacs_backtrace+0x48)[0x57e268]
/bin/emacs(terminate_due_to_signal+0x8b)[0x46814b]
/bin/emacs[0x4686ac]
/bin/emacs[0x57c1c8]
/bin/emacs[0x57c24c]
/lib/libc.so.6(+0x38d30)[0x6593484e9d30]
/bin/emacs[0x68912d]
/bin/emacs[0x689521]
/bin/emacs[0x6b76df]
/bin/emacs[0x6b9cfa]
/bin/emacs[0x4cb024]
/bin/emacs(gui_write_glyphs+0x91)[0x4cd7b1]
/bin/emacs[0x47343f]
/bin/emacs[0x479694]
/bin/emacs[0x47b183]
/bin/emacs(update_frame+0x1cb)[0x47b37b]
/bin/emacs[0x4c2e07]
/bin/emacs(read_char+0xe60)[0x56b9a0]
/bin/emacs[0x56e046]
/bin/emacs[0x570006]
/bin/emacs(internal_condition_case+0x5f)[0x5eb85f]
/bin/emacs(command_loop_2+0x26)[0x55b376]
/bin/emacs(internal_catch+0x33)[0x5eb7c3]
/bin/emacs[0x55b311]
/bin/emacs(recursive_edit_1+0x9b)[0x55fbbb]
/bin/emacs(Frecursive_edit+0xdf)[0x55ff3f]
/bin/emacs(main+0x1faf)[0x47174f]
/lib/libc.so.6(+0x23ace)[0x6593484d4ace]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x89)[0x6593484d4b89]
/bin/emacs(_start+0x25)[0x471d45]
Process 5932 (.emacs-29.1-wra) of user 1001 dumped core.
emacs.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=11/SEGV
systemd[5840]: emacs.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.16.0)
System Description: NixOS 23.11 (Tapir)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/jafxp698l6f4wxzkmw48vg9nixjfd2qh-emacs-pgtk-29.1
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-pgtk
 --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: 
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/nix/store/fdprfbhw9zcghxj2wz9nbv8sab90zaym-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/jafxp698l6f4wxzkmw48vg9nixjfd2qh-emacs-pgtk-29.1/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/fdprfbhw9zcghxj2wz9nbv8sab90zaym-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20230915.1911/transient hides /nix/store/jafxp698l6f4wxzkmw48vg9nixjfd2qh-emacs-pgtk-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
/nix/store/fdprfbhw9zcghxj2wz9nbv8sab90zaym-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/jafxp698l6f4wxzkmw48vg9nixjfd2qh-emacs-pgtk-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort face-remap mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums comp comp-cstr warnings rx server
pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile comint ansi-osc
ansi-color cus-edit icons pdf-view bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache
pdf-info tq pdf-util format-spec pdf-macs image-mode dired
dired-loaddefs exif pyim-basedict pyim-dict gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit edmacro kmacro cl-extra help-mode use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core modus-operandi-theme modus-themes
pixel-scroll cua-base ring elec-pair cus-load auctex-autoloads tex-site
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
pyim-autoloads async-autoloads pyim-basedict-autoloads tablist-autoloads
transient-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
xr-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 274697 10668)
 (symbols 48 19084 0)
 (strings 32 51565 2840)
 (string-bytes 1 1784963)
 (vectors 16 30611)
 (vector-slots 8 566632 13506)
 (floats 8 170 34)
 (intervals 56 302 0)
 (buffers 984 14))