Subject: Re: bug#66416: 29.1; Crashes when visiting HELLO file with pgtk on Wayland

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 12:39:53 +0800

Yuchen Guo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Emacs just crashed again after sending you the last email.
> Here is the output from gdb
>
>      https://codeberg.org/m0p/ublock-origin-mirror/raw/branch/main/gdb-1.txt

Thanks, but debuginfo is absent from your backtrace.  Please compile
Emacs with CFLAGS set to `-Og -g3', and ack with a backtrace from that
build.

> Namely, I am a Chinese speaker, of the Simpified variety on the
> Mainland.  Emacs invariably chooses HK or JP glyphs by default, which I
> do not understand. (I understand neither the behavior of Emacs nor the
> glyphs.) I configured Simplified Chinese [SC] as fallback in fontconfig
> and this works with firefox and terminal emulator.

This boils down to the absence of support for stylistic sets within
Emacs.  I'd advise you to replace Noto Sans CJK with a CJK font family
that segregates stylistic variants of glyphs representing identical
characters into separate font files; such as PingFang SC, inter alia.