Subject: Re: bug#66405: 30.0.50; Should comint-mode call hack-dir-local-variables-non-file-buffer?

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 13:03:31 +0200

On Sun,  8 Oct 2023 at 13:27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 12:16:07 +0200
>> 
>> It currently doesn't but I think it should, since a comint is
>> conceptually tied to the current directory.
>
> Is there a compelling reason why it should (as opposed to a "why not"
> kind of reason)?  Comint exists for many years, so any change in
> behavior there should have a very good reason.

Yes.  We've been improving the editing experience in Comint with input
fontification and what not, so I think it should also have the right
project settings.  Indentation settings would be one example.  Also,
documentation lookup settings often go in the .dir-locals.el and are
relevant in a comint as well.

For me personally, it would also make
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/buffer-env.html work more smoothly.