Subject: Re: bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 04:24:23 +0000

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Why do you need another argument as long as you use `this-command`?
>> You can use e.g. (pcase this-command ('foo #'foo-p) etc...)
>
> I doubt all potential uses will use `this-command'.
>
> It's cleaner if the command that knows what it wants passes the
> information via argument than to make the other function derive it
> indirectly from the context (functional style).

It is what I did initially after realizing it is simpler to use
this-command from register-read-with-preview.

> Maybe in the future we might need to pass other predicates as well.
> What when a user wants to add another register command?

You can with the current register-preview.el add a new command and
control filtering of this command.

-- 
Thierry