Subject: Re: bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 04:42:54 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> When using `copy-to-register`, it is hard to see which register is
> already taken in the preview buffer.  This patch highlight the
> register entered at prompt if it is already taken otherwise a
> minibuffer message is sent to notify user the register is available.
> If any interest here is the patch, feel free to modify if needed.

I am not sure what's the best way to address this kind of problem.  If
your version is accepted, I would vote for an option to get the old
behavior back.  Your intended behavior is safer but requires more keys
(at least confirmation with RET).  Some people might prefer the old way.

I'm also not sure about the visual feedback.  If you use lots of
registers you might miss your register highlighting in the preview
buffer.  Maybe using the minibuffer always for the visual feedback might
be better, I don't know.  Or give only feedback when the register is
already taken?  Or maybe require the user to hit RET two times to
confirm overwriting?

Personally I hacked the code so that I can lock registers I don't want
to overwrite.  I can also restore registers.  That takes away a bit of
the pressure.

There also had been a request to be able to delete register bindings,
but it had been rejected.

In any way there should be some way to allow a cleaner working with
registers.

Just my two cents.

Michael.