Subject: bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:39:19 -0800

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> From 386457b493e3d2ebdb605dd8a8ce3c323847f537 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 07:02:40 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 1/2] Don't confirm with RET even when overwriting in register
>  commands

The preview here when copying to and inserting from registers is really
nice.

However, I think we should do what Stefan Monnier suggested: keep the
old default (with regards to which keys to press), and make it
discoverable for those that want it.

That said, I think the new feature, if made optional, will clearly be
popular among at least a section of users.  So it's a nice addition and
extension of Emacs' capabilities.

> From 7b634a3359565dea755392324055443eb02aa070 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 07:24:32 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] Provide emacs-29 behavior for register-preview

This one is okay in terms of the keys I need to press (i.e. there is no
change from emacs-29, by default), but why not keep the preview from the
first one?  That part I think was a really good addition, and also
non-intrusive.  It makes me feel more in control, as I'm not inserting
or overwriting stuff blindly.  We might want an option to turn it off,
though.

I hope that helps.