Subject: bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 08:57:47 +0100

Hi Thierry,

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The idea is to provide the nice of enhancements from Thierry's patch via
>> more minimal changes,
>
> Your patch fails to provide all the enhancements I had provided.

Thanks for testing.

Indeed, I only reimplemented the parts I saw as clearly beneficial.
Most importantly, my patch improves stuff without breaking other stuff.

Perhaps you can explain your use case for the rest of the changes, and
if there's a good and compatible way to add them I'll be happy to look
into it at some point.

> - No filtering.
> - No navigation.
> - No default registers.
> - No possibility to configure a new command added to register.

If you could elaborate about these bullets, and explain their use,
that'd be great.

> - You reintroduced the old implementation which was not wrote correctly
> about handling various keys, particularly C-g.

How so?  Works well over here, AFAICT, as it did in Emacs 29.

> - About overwriting, now you have to press "y" to confirm instead of
> pressing RET.

Yes, I think `y-or-n-p` is more user friendly here, don't you?

Cheers,

Eshel