Subject: bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 16:48:05 +0000

Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Thierry,
>
> Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Here another change related to the discussion in previous posts.
>> If no objections I will merge it in next days.
>
> This seems to disregard my comments entirely,

It doesn't.

> I'm sure that's not intentional, but I'd appreciate it if you could
> consider them.

This finish to fix the version of register-preview I wrote (the one you
don't like) regarding what bastien asked for.

> So it'd be great to have the previous behavior available in Emacs 30.

Sorry but I wont write this, it is not complicated to write but needs
works and attention and I spent enough time on this.

The only thing you mentionned I agree with is the necessity now to use C-q
to insert key sequence (note that C-n/p will insert it alone), but it is
not a big annoyance right? (most people don't use this, I don't for
one).  For the preview buffer not visible, note that you can pop to it
at any moment with C-h.  Perhaps you will get used to the new behavior
after some time, otherwise it is easy to revert completely my commits
(it is the development branch of emacs after all).

-- 
Thierry