Subject: Re: bug#66394: 29.1; Make register-read-with-preview more useful

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 16:05:09 +0100

Hi Thierry,

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here another change related to the discussion in previous posts.
> If no objections I will merge it in next days.

This seems to disregard my comments entirely, I'm sure that's not
intentional, but I'd appreciate it if you could consider them.

To reiterate, I wrote:

> Using a minibuffer to read a key has other disadvantages [beyond the
> extra friction of confirming with RET]: it limits the range of keys
> that can be easily used as registers since now specifying the `C-a`
> register is much harder (as Michael mentioned).  This also makes
> register commands less convenient and even impossible (when
> `enable-recursive-minibuffers` is nil) to use inside an existing
> minibuffer.

So it'd be great to have the previous behavior available in Emacs 30.

Thanks,

Eshel