Subject: bug#66381: 29.1; Auto-revert not polling files when notifications are enabled

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 19:59:36 +0200

Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> It's /google/src/<censored>/file.txt, with the mount
> point on /google/src. Mount details:
>
> srcfsd /google/src fuse.srcfsd
> rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=125,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other
> 0 0
>
> There's no stop notification generated, whether I restart or kill the
> daemon or just umount -l. inotifywait(1) agrees. I've got no idea what
> parts of this may be local kernel behavior versus FUSE in general, but
> I would guess that FUSE in general is more likely.

Yes, likely this is due to the srcfsd FUSE type. I don't use it, so I
cannot test.

Since inotify doesn't deliver IN_IGNORED (and the file-notify `stopped'
event doesn't appear therefore) we cannot do too much. We have no API
which sends heartbeat checks on watched file systems; such a check could
solve the problem. But there are no plans. Your workaround by restarting
global-auto-revert-mode every night might be the best you could use.

Best regards, Michael.