Subject: Re: bug#66375: 30.0.50; (error "Maximum buffer size exceeded") from (insert-file-contents "/dev/null")

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 12:44:18 -0400

When I enter a group for which I set score file to nil or /dev/null in
gnus-score-file-single-match-alist
I get this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Maximum buffer size exceeded")
  insert-file-contents("/dev/null")
  gnus-score-load-score-alist("/dev/null")
  gnus-score-load-file("/dev/null")
  gnus-score-load-files(("/home/sds/.gnus-kill/new-thread"
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/lisp" "/dev/null" nil
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/non-ascii" "/home/sds/.gnus-kill/all"
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/gmane" "/home/sds/.gnus-kill/gnu"
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/emacs"))
  gnus-score-headers(("/home/sds/.gnus-kill/new-thread"
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/lisp" "/dev/null" nil
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/non-ascii" "/home/sds/.gnus-kill/all"
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/gmane" "/home/sds/.gnus-kill/gnu"
"/home/sds/.gnus-kill/emacs") nil)
  gnus-possibly-score-headers()
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nntp+news.gwene.org:gmane.emacs.bbdb.user"
nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nntp+news.gwene.org:gmane.emacs.bbdb.user"
nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-group-select-group nil)
  command-execute(gnus-group-select-group)

On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 at 12:33, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:43:24 -0400
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean here, sorry.
> > I am unable to use Gnus because of this new bug.
>
> Where does Gnus do something like that?  We can at least install a
> quick workaround if you can tell where is this code in Gnus.

-- 
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org> <http://www.childpsy.net>
<http://steingoldpsychology.com>