Subject: bug#6637: 24.0.50; kill ring being seriously polluted

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:55:38 +0100

On 15/07/10 09:50, Tim Van Holder wrote:
>
> With the current BZR head, the kill ring seems to be seriously
> broken, at least in conjunction with pc-selection-mode.
> It seems that whenever I mark a region (using shift + arrow keys), the
> contents of that region go into the kill ring, and when I enter text to
> replace that region, the first character (and only the first character)
> goes into the kill ring.
> This seriously breaks some common activities, i.e. copying a piece of
> code, then pasting it several times, adjusting those parts that need
> adjusting.
> Is there an option to disable this less-than-desirable "functionality"
> until the behaviour is returned to sanity? If not, I suppose I can
> handle a few extra M-y presses for a while, but I'd like to see this
> fixed as soon as possible.
>

[Well, please  bear in mind you're running unstable development code if 
you're running bzr head rather than a release AFAIU]

If you just want shift-arrow selection, note that that has worked in 
emacs anyway for a while, without pc-selection-mode turned on as such.
But since your bug was for the delete-selection part, well, I guess 
that's less than satisfactory.

The problem is likely in delete-selection-mode (which pc-selection-mode 
uses underneath) or some of the code it calls in simple.el:

I was totally expecting this to be related to certain recent changes in 
default selection handling, but breakage happened in my short test even 
with them turned off on X11 emacs on debian.  It may/must still be 
related to recent rearrangements, of course, just perhaps not in the 
area I thought.

I for one won't get to look properly at this until the weekend, though 
I'm not the only person about.