Subject: 24.0.50; kill ring being seriously polluted

From: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:50:01 +0200

With the current BZR head, the kill ring seems to be seriously
broken, at least in conjunction with pc-selection-mode.
It seems that whenever I mark a region (using shift + arrow keys), the
contents of that region go into the kill ring, and when I enter text to
replace that region, the first character (and only the first character)
goes into the kill ring.
This seriously breaks some common activities, i.e. copying a piece of
code, then pasting it several times, adjusting those parts that need
adjusting.
Is there an option to disable this less-than-desirable "functionality"
until the behaviour is returned to sanity? If not, I suppose I can
handle a few extra M-y presses for a while, but I'd like to see this
fixed as soon as possible.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
 of 2010-07-15 on leeloo
Windowing system distributor `The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.10503000
configured using `configure  '--with-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C/l

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug multi-isearch parse-time vc-cvs
cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs dired regexp-opt package whitespace zastai jka-compr
uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload paren pc-select gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit time delsel
cus-start cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)