Subject: bug#6637: 24.0.50; kill ring being seriously polluted

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:26:07 +0100

On 19/07/10 09:22, Tim Van Holder wrote:

> I set out to do just that (intending to duplicate the *scratch*
> comment, replacing "Lisp" by a few other language names), but the
> current (r100846) behaviour seems to match with my expected/desired
> behaviour again.

Ah, good. :-).  Though we probably need to keep an eye open for Cygwin/X 
specific interaction problems.

> The only thing I see is that emacs is perfectly happy to copy/kill the
> empty string: arrow-selecting an empty region and hitting C-insert
> (copy-region-as-kill in pc-selection-mode) make subsequent yanks
> insert nothing.It's perfectly possible that emacs has always done so
 > - I'm only mentioning it because I notice it now.

Yes, just checked - Both Emacs 22 and 23 merrily do that (to the 
clipboard if set to use the clipboard in the first place). However it 
may have been less noticeable than it has become since the recent 
changes, said recent changes including using the clipboard in more 
situations than before on some platforms.

It is likely possible to do something about it in future, it's a similar 
problem to some other zero-length-region problems that are known to be 
addressable.