Subject: bug#6637: 24.0.50; kill ring being seriously polluted

From: Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:07:22 +0200

On 15 July 2010 16:03, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Tim Van Holder <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> With the current BZR head, the kill ring seems to be seriously
>> broken, at least in conjunction with pc-selection-mode.
>> It seems that whenever I mark a region (using shift + arrow keys), the
>> contents of that region go into the kill ring, and when I enter text to
>> replace that region, the first character (and only the first character)
>> goes into the kill ring.
>
> Your description is too vague.  Please provide a precise, step-by-step
> recipe for the problem, starting with `emacs -Q'.

Fair enough.

1) emacs -Q

Note: this is run from an SSH shell (putty) connected to a Debian box
with X forwarding using Cygwin's X server on my local PC.
This shows the normal *scratch* buffer with 3 comment lines at the top
and point below them.

2) Holding the shift key, press the up arrow until you're at the top
of the buffer

This selects the comment lines and the line below it.

3) Release the shift key and press the down arrow until you're back at
the bottom of the buffer

4) Press C-y

This yanks in the comment lines, even though I at no point requested a
kill or copy-as-kill. I don't remember this ever being the case in the
past.
In addition, with today's BZR head the yank takes a very long time
(4-5 seconds); the mouse cursor even switches to its "please wait"
form. This long wait goes away when I set x-select-clipboard-enable to
false.