Subject: 29.1; malformed load-history entry when built --with-ns

From: Aaron Ucko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 15:34:34 -0400

Immediately after startup, load-history starts with the malformed entry

  ((require . package) (require . info))

which in turn breaks e.g. eval-after-load, which reasonably expects
every entry to start with a filename.

I encounter this behavior with an all-comments .emacs, but not with
emacs -q; with -q, load-history instead starts with nil, which is
irregular too but (mostly?) harmless.  This Cocoa-enabled build exhibits
the same behavior in -nw mode, but an X11 build of the same sources
(unpatched 29.1) doesn't add any irregular entries in any mode.

I configured it --with-ns-self-contained so that my two builds could
share a .../share/emacs hierarchy, but I'd expect that to be a
formality.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.4.0, NS
 appkit-2299.50 Version 13.3.1 (Build 22E261)) of 2023-10-04 built on
 NCBIMAC1014
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/Users/ucko/emacs-29.1 --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained --with-modules --without-gnutls'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/ucko/share/emacs/tex-site hides /Users/ucko/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.16/tex-site
/Users/ucko/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230220.1425/transient hides /Users/ucko/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
/Users/ucko/share/emacs/w3/socks hides /Users/ucko/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/net/socks

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug cl-extra pp thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree cl-print dabbrev debug backtrace help-mode find-func time
jka-compr amu-functions dsvn log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log vc
vc-dispatcher nnimap nnmail gnus-int mail-source gnus-range message
sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 nnoo
gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils range advice w3-auto derived cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
finder-inf tex-site pcase info package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cus-start cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 452778 74812)
 (symbols 48 31202 3)
 (strings 32 94378 3768)
 (string-bytes 1 2764532)
 (vectors 16 70705)
 (vector-slots 8 1674909 46441)
 (floats 8 213 55)
 (intervals 56 58004 21708)
 (buffers 976 14))

-- 
Aaron Ucko <ucko at ncbi>, NCBI C++ Toolkit core development group