Subject: bug#66334: closed (Re: bug#66334: 29.1.50; Undoing uncomment-region leaves buffer modified)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 16:38:01 +0000

Your bug report

#66334: 29.1.50; Undoing uncomment-region leaves buffer modified

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66334: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66334
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66334: 29.1.50; Undoing uncomment-region leaves buffer modified
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 19:37:21 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:29:30 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> 
> When with Emacs 29 I make a file /home/martin/temp/foobar.el with the
> following contents
> 
> 
> ;; uncomment this line via C-. then undo
> 
> (find-file "/home/martin/temp/foobar.el")
> 
> (defun my-uncomment-region ()
>    (interactive)
>    (uncomment-region
>     (point-at-bol) (progn (forward-line) (point))))
> 
> (global-set-key [(control .)] 'my-uncomment-region)
> 
> 
> 
> run
> 
> emacs -Q --load "/home/martin/temp/foobar.el"
> 
> and type C-. followed by C-_ the foobar.el buffer remains modified.
> 
> This bug was apparently fixed on master - in reaction to Bug#64989 and
> Bug#60467 I suppose - but seems to persist here on Emacs 29.2.  Note
> that in contrast to those bugs no error message gets printed here.

The bug is unfixed on the emacs-29 branch because the fix we installed
on master was deemed unsafe for the release branch, and no safer patch
was brought up.

So I'm closing this bug because at this point I don't think we will
see a patch to fix it that is safe enough for the release branch.

Subject: 29.1.50; Undoing uncomment-region leaves buffer modified
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:29:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When with Emacs 29 I make a file /home/martin/temp/foobar.el with the
following contents

;; uncomment this line via C-. then undo

(find-file "/home/martin/temp/foobar.el")

(defun my-uncomment-region ()
   (interactive)
   (uncomment-region
    (point-at-bol) (progn (forward-line) (point))))

(global-set-key [(control .)] 'my-uncomment-region)

run

emacs -Q --load "/home/martin/temp/foobar.el"

and type C-. followed by C-_ the foobar.el buffer remains modified.

This bug was apparently fixed on master - in reaction to Bug#64989 and
Bug#60467 I suppose - but seems to persist here on Emacs 29.2.  Note
that in contrast to those bugs no error message gets printed here.

Thanks, martin

In GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-10-04 built on restno
Repository revision: 2065ab5562e87bc5f4900f60459597356afe22df
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
  --with-gnutls=no --without-pop --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
  --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type=yes
  'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -no-pie -Wno-missing-braces''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_AT.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36584 7609)
  (symbols 48 5129 0)
  (strings 32 13259 1776)
  (string-bytes 1 375311)
  (vectors 16 9310)
  (vector-slots 8 148965 12244)
  (floats 8 21 19)
  (intervals 56 230 0)
  (buffers 976 11))