Subject: bug#66317: Project mode-line

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 20:57:12 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Thanks, I've tried this patch on top of Emacs master and it seems to
>>> work well.  One small suggestion is to consider giving the project name
>>> in the mode line a dedicated face, so people/themes could customize its
>>> appearance.  (By default, it could just inherit from `default`.)
>>
>> Thanks for suggestion, will do on the second round after pushing the
>> initial version.
>
> I'm not yet sure whether better to add a new face or a new variable like
> grep-hit-face and xref-num-matches-face that refers to the existing face.
> Then it would be possible to set such variable e.g. to the face `vc-state-base`
> that inherits from `default`.

Personally I think a variable pointing to a face name is a somewhat
redundant indirection, since customizing the face to inherit from some
other face is just as easy as customizing the variable to point to a
different face.  But either way works, of course.

Best,

Eshel