Subject: Re: bug#66317: Project mode-line

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:34:23 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> To me, this description looks a bit too implementation-focused.  How
>> about the following?
>
> I'm fine with either, but...
>
>>      Show the name of the current project on the mode line.
>>      This option only works in Emacs 30 or later, for a similar
>> effect in
>>      Emacs 29 or earlier add `project-mode-line-format' to your
>>      `mode-line-format' instead of using this option.
>
> There might be a problem in the fact that it still won't work in Emacs
> 30 if the user had customized the mode-line (or installed one of the
> packages that do).

I agree, perhaps we could say:

   Note that this feature relies on the default value of
   `mode-line-format' in Emacs 30 and later.  With a custom mode line,
   as well as on Emacs 29 or earlier, add `project-mode-line-format' to
   your `mode-line-format' instead of setting this option.

> Also: "in addition", not "instead".

There's no harm in adding `project-mode-line-format` to
`mode-line-format` in addition to setting `project-mode-line`, but I did
mean "instead" and not "in addition", since the value of
`project-mode-line` is irrelevant if you follow the suggestion to add
`project-mode-line-format` directly to `mode-line-format`.

Best,

Eshel