Subject: Re: bug#66303: [PATCH] Document 'M-x align' in the Emacs manual

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 21:30:59 +0200

Hi,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 10:21:58 +0200
>> From:  Eshel Yaron via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> This is a request for documenting `M-x align` in the Emacs manual, along
>> with a suggested draft for such documentation.
>
> Thanks, but it seems to me we will be better off expanding the doc
> string(s) of the respective functions and variables.  The text you
> suggest to add documents one command and 2 user options, and provides
> an example of the usage.  I think adding the example to the doc string
> of 'align' and mentioning the two options in its doc string, as well
> as expanding the doc strings of those two options, would give us the
> same benefits without the downsides (extra *.texi file, a larger
> manual, etc.)
>
> WDYT?

Thanks for taking a look.  I think that documenting `M-x align` in the
manual has some benefits that aren't completely covered by enhancing
docstrings.  Namely, you can link to the Info from other manuals, such
as manuals of packages that extend/integrate with `align.el`.  I also
think it helps with discoverability.  (For instance, you can skim the
manual online even without using Emacs.)

How would you feel about a new section in indent.texi instead of a new
.texi file?