Subject: bug#66289: localeinfo.c:33:39: error: macro "static_assert" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 23:50:41 -0700

On 2023-09-30 20:30, Dennis Clarke via Bug reports for GNU grep wrote:
> I was trying to build GNU grep on a NetBSD 9.3 machine when I saw this
> nasty bit of business :

I just now built grep 3.11 on NetBSD 9.3 x86-64, and didn't run into any 
problems.

> /usr/pkg/gcc10/bin/gcc

The default GCC on NetBSD 9.3 x86-64 is GCC 7.5.0. I installed gcc10 
(the instructions for this are not obvious for a non-NetBSD user, by the 
way), and still could not reproduce the problem.

I see that you are running NetBSD on the sparc and are using an 
extensive set of unusual compile-time options like "-std=iso9899:1999", 
whereas my simpler approach causes 'configure' to use '-std=gnu11' which 
may explain why I don't run into problems. What happens if you just do a 
plain "configure; make" with the ordinary GCC? If that works, then you 
might try seeing which option or options cause the problem.

Also, if you're not already doing so, please build grep 3.11 as opposed 
to any older grep version.