Subject: Re: bug#66289: localeinfo.c:33:39: error: macro "static_assert" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given

From: Dennis Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:43:55 -0400

On 10/1/23 02:50, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2023-09-30 20:30, Dennis Clarke via Bug reports for GNU grep wrote:
>> I was trying to build GNU grep on a NetBSD 9.3 machine when I saw this
>> nasty bit of business :
> 
> I just now built grep 3.11 on NetBSD 9.3 x86-64, and didn't run into any 
> problems.
> 

On x86_64 it is not a problem at all. Usually.

> 
>> /usr/pkg/gcc10/bin/gcc
> 
> The default GCC on NetBSD 9.3 x86-64 is GCC 7.5.0. I installed gcc10 
> (the instructions for this are not obvious for a non-NetBSD user, by the 
> way), and still could not reproduce the problem.
>

I assure you, nothing seems obvious in the NetBSD world. At least not
for me. However it is a pretty darn stable platform and so long as you
have a compiler and a libC with a few other things then building from
source *may* work for most things.  Maybe.  No promises.  I just like
the fact that it seems to run on just about anything and that includes
a toaster if there is a CPU and some memory. :)

> I see that you are running NetBSD on the sparc 

Not for long. That old thing is heading for the re-cycle scrap heap.

> extensive set of unusual compile-time options like "-std=iso9899:1999", 

Not sure when C99 became "unusual" but I hear that sort of feedback all
the time from various projects. Which is to say there is no real C lang
specification at all in a lot of places. Just whatever GCC or LLVM/Clang
can compile and good luck with that.  Even the OpenSSL project is all
over the map with whatever C spec they pretend to conform to. Thankfully
Curl/libCurl is still run by one top level person and it compiles on
just about everything with C90 still. However ... I digress.

All the rest of those switches are to disable features. I have seen a
SIGILL in some places just because of that VIS stuff. I still do not
know what is going on there.

> whereas my simpler approach causes 'configure' to use '-std=gnu11' which 
> may explain why I don't run into problems. What happens if you just do a 
> plain "configure; make" with the ordinary GCC? If that works, then you 
> might try seeing which option or options cause the problem.

Worth a try I guess. However this is end of September. Actually day 1 of
October and I was trying to toss out these last sparc machines from my
life. I just wanted to give them a whirl one last time. They do make
excellent room heaters and power users.

> 
> Also, if you're not already doing so, please build grep 3.11 as opposed 
> to any older grep version.

Well, yes, this is from the 3.11 tarball.

In any case I will let it rip with a trivial configure and perhaps the
default compiler and see what happens. Let us not waste further time or
electricity on it.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC
UNIX and Linux spoken