Subject: Re: bug#66282: 26.3; Doc string of `overlay-arrow-string'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 16:42:22 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 05:12:18 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> We also have these in src/:
> 
> ./src/xdisp.c:22826:   Used for non-window-redisplay windows, and for
> windows without left
> ./src/xdisp.c:36677:    doc: /* String to display as an arrow in
> non-window frames.
> ./src/xdisp.c:36724:    doc: /* Pixels per inch value for non-window
> system displays.
> 
> And these in lisp/:
> 
> ./htmlfontify.el:106:The following might be useful when running
> non-windowed or in batch mode:
> ./emulation/cua-base.el:414:On non-window systems, use
> `cua-rectangle-terminal-modifier-key'.
> ./vc/ediff-init.el:567:and ediff-after-flag.  On a non-window system,
> differences are always
> ./emacs-lisp/tcover-ses.el:675:    ;;ses-create-header-string behaves
> differently in a non-window environment

These are okay, they don't use "non-window frames" (with the single
exception of the doc string which I already fixed, and you probably
have the old version of).  They use other terminology, which has its
place.  "Windows-system" is our terminology for the various GUI
environments, and "window redisplay" (as opposed to "frame redisplay")
is correct terminology for GUI redisplay, where each window has its
own glyph matrix and manages its memory, see the large comment at the
beginning of xdisp.c.