Subject: bug#66281: closed (Re: bug#66281: 30.0.50; Emacs won't start on X11 with 10 bit color depth)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:02:01 +0000

Your bug report

#66281: 30.0.50; Emacs won't start on X11 with 10 bit color depth

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66281: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66281
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66281: 30.0.50; Emacs won't start on X11 with 10 bit color depth
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked],Alexander Prähauser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 04:00:50 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 66281 + notabug
close 66281
thanks

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So what's our conclusion here?  Is this a bug in Gdk?
>
> Yes, thanks.

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Please report this bug to the Gdk maintainers.

Subject: 30.0.50; Emacs won't start on X11 with 10 bit color depth
From: Alexander Prähauser <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:39:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have an OLED monitor and configured X to use 10 bit color depth
as described here:

https://linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_enable_10-bit_color_on_Linux

Using Gnome on Wayland I never experienced any problems with this,
but I switched to Stumpwm and can't start Emacs from
there if color depth is configured to 10 bit. I included the error
message printed by Emacs as an attachment. My system
is Arch and all programs were just upgraded. The bug persists if I
don't load the init file.

X protocol error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) on protocol request 91
Serial no: 1051
Failing resource ID (if any): 0xffffffff
Minor code: 0
This is a bug!  Please report this to [email-masked]!

When compiled with GTK, Emacs cannot recover from X disconnects.
This is a GTK bug: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/221
For details, see etc/PROBLEMS.
Fatal error 6: Aborted
Backtrace:
emacs(+0x1a89be)[0x55d6a13289be]
emacs(+0x4e257)[0x55d6a11ce257]
emacs(+0x4e81d)[0x55d6a11ce81d]
emacs(+0x143396)[0x55d6a12c3396]
emacs(+0x14391e)[0x55d6a12c391e]
emacs(+0x143b2b)[0x55d6a12c3b2b]
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XError+0x11c)[0x7f312c29268c]
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6(+0x44798)[0x7f312c292798]
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0x3c1)[0x7f312c294421]
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XQueryColor+0x65)[0x7f312c289285]
emacs(+0x175669)[0x55d6a12f5669]
emacs(+0x17bbc4)[0x55d6a12fbbc4]
emacs(+0x167341)[0x55d6a12e7341]
emacs(+0x2616d2)[0x55d6a13e16d2]
emacs(+0x2172e6)[0x55d6a13972e6]
emacs(+0x2178c2)[0x55d6a13978c2]
emacs(+0x2616d2)[0x55d6a13e16d2]
emacs(+0x21c6cc)[0x55d6a139c6cc]
emacs(+0x21ac5e)[0x55d6a139ac5e]
emacs(+0x21d66f)[0x55d6a139d66f]
emacs(+0x215a07)[0x55d6a1395a07]
emacs(+0x185b96)[0x55d6a1305b96]
emacs(+0x215961)[0x55d6a1395961]
emacs(+0x1850ff)[0x55d6a13050ff]
emacs(+0x18cf52)[0x55d6a130cf52]
emacs(+0x18d2e0)[0x55d6a130d2e0]
emacs(+0x5739c)[0x55d6a11d739c]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x27cd0)[0x7f312b040cd0]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x8a)[0x7f312b040d8a]
emacs(+0x578c5)[0x55d6a11d78c5]

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-08-26 built on
 Arch
Repository revision: 7318fa75b802b8f9de1cb14f06f22e1d3e61bd34
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT
MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE
XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  winner-mode: t
  mu4easy-mode: t
  org-msg-mode: t
  mu4e-column-faces-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  bufler-workspace-mode: t
  backward-forward-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  icicle-mode: t
  Info-breadcrumbs-in-mode-line-mode: t
  global-org-modern-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  fancy-compilation-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  centaur-tabs-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/icicles/dired+ hides
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/dired+
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/icicles/bookmark+ hides
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/bookmark+-20230325.160624/bookmark+
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/org-projectile-helm-20230817.801/org-projectile-helm
hides
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/org-projectile-20230817.851/org-projectile-helm
/home/alex/.roswell/lisp/slime/2023.06.18/slime hides
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20230730.1734/slime
/home/alex/.roswell/lisp/slime/2023.06.18/slime-tests hides
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20230730.1734/slime-tests
/home/alex/.roswell/lisp/slime/2023.06.18/slime-autoloads hides
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20230730.1734/slime-autoloads
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230812.2142/transient hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-lint
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-jump
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-ensure
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package
hides /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-diminish
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-delight
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-core
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-bind-key
hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/alex/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.24/seq hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow view emacsbug winner face-remap tramp-archive tramp-gvfs
tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug debug backtrace helm-info mu4easy org-msg htmlize
gnus-msg gnus-cite helm-mu mu4e-alert time alert
log4e gntp mu4e-column-faces mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups
esh-util mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar org-capture icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification
notifications mu4e-main mu4e-view gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader
range mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail
mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark
mu4e-message shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom flow-fill
mule-util mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders
mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars
mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window ido mu4e-obsolete
init-helm helm-epa helm-sys helm-adaptive isearch+ isearch-prop
recentf tree-widget windmove edit-server epa-file
goto-addr all-the-icons-completion bufler-workspace burly
backward-forward completion elec-pair wc-mode icicles mb-depth
facemenu two-column icicles-mode dired+ image-file image-converter
icicles-cmd2 icicles-cmd1 icicles-mcmd doremi
icicles-fn icicles-var apropos-fn+var icicles-opt ffap-
fuzzy-match cus-theme cus-edit cus-load menu-bar+ misc-cmds rect
bookmark+ bookmark+-key bookmark+-bmu info+ fit-frame help-fns+
wid-edit+ bookmark+-lit pp+ dired-x crosshairs
col-highlight vline hl-line+ bookmark+-1 bookmark+-mac
treemacs-bookmarks treemacs-tags magit-bookmark bookmark
thingatpt+ icicles-face hexrgb forge-list forge-commands
forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea
gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub
url-http url-gw nsm url-auth let-alist gnutls
forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic
yaml bug-reference forge-post markdown-mode forge-repo
forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql
emacsql-compiler eieio-base yaml-mode org-modern tex dbus
xml texmathp slime-company company fancy-compilation
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet ac-math auto-complete popup
math-symbol-lists treemacs-tab-bar treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator pulse treemacs-faces treemacs-icons
treemacs-scope treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture inline
hl-line ht treemacs-logging treemacs-customization
treemacs-macros auto-dictionary flyspell ispell
all-the-icons-dired bufler projectile grep ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs pretty-hydra bufler-group-tree f f-shortdoc s vc
vc-dispatcher centaur-tabs centaur-tabs-interactive
centaur-tabs-functions centaur-tabs-elements all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons
powerline powerline-separators powerline-themes color
ace-jump-mode finder-inf dired-quick-sort hydra lv savehist
ls-lisp helm-dired-history helm-mode helm-misc helm-files
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util
tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs helm-buffers helm-occur
helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils
helm-help helm-types helm helm-global-bindings helm-core
async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async
dired-aux undo-tree queue use-package-ensure-system-package
gnus-dired ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element org-persist xdg org-id org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-macro org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities ob-emacs-lisp org-table org-keys org-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs avl-tree ol oc ob-exp ob-core
org-cycle org-fold org-fold-core org-compat ob-eval
org-version org-macs mime-w3m w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif timezone w3m-hist bookmark-w3m w3m-ems wid-edit
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-fb tab-line w3m-proc w3m-util
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit message
sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode
transient magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec
cursor-sensor crm dash compat compat-29 edmacro kmacro
auto-install ffap find-func dired dired-loaddefs
quelpa-use-package parse-time iso8601 time-date quelpa mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr help-fns radix-tree use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree
slime-scratch slime-presentations advice bridge slime-macrostep
macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp
slime-parse slime derived cl-extra help-mode easy-mmode lisp-mnt
gud apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
icons pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec
thingatpt desktop frameset icicles-install cl modus-vivendi-theme
modus-themes ac-math-autoloads tex-site
auto-complete-auctex-autoloads auto-complete-sage-autoloads
auto-complete-autoloads auto-dictionary-autoloads
cdlatex-autoloads centaur-tabs-autoloads emms-autoloads
fancy-compilation-autoloads forge-autoloads closql-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads bufler-autoloads burly-autoloads
f-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
math-symbol-lists-autoloads helm-easymenu org-modern-autoloads
org-projectile-helm-autoloads helm-autoloads
helm-core-autoloads org-projectile-autoloads
org-project-capture-autoloads org-category-capture-autoloads
popup-autoloads powerline-autoloads pretty-hydra-autoloads rx
slime-company-autoloads company-autoloads slime-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads telega-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads treepy-autoloads w3m-load
w3m-autoloads wfnames-autoloads info seq-autoloads
yaml-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded
button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1354302 1009201) (symbols 48 76609 394)
 (strings 32 352918 102999) (string-bytes 1 10458189)
 (vectors 16 130896) (vector-slots 8 1642861 777065)
 (floats 8 1149 5164) (intervals 56 4967 2159) (buffers 992 19))