Subject: Use a seperate time format in rcirc logfiles

From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:44:43 +0200

I believe that it is best to have two different time formats for
logfiles and normal rcirc buffers.  Logfiles need additional precision,
specifically the date and maybe the time zone, while normal buffers do
not.

The patch adds a single variable, rcirc-log-time-format, to control the
time format in logfiles, which is done by replacing the usage of
rcirc-time-format in rcirc-log with it.

I figured "%F %T %z " was a sensible default, although feel free to
change it as you wish.

>From f9985b17ce6db949d436e798a086e5e270e1bdfc Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:30:13 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Use a seperate time format in rcirc logfiles than in rcirc
 buffers

* rcirc.el (rcirc-log-time-format): Define a seperate variable to
control the time format in logfiles.
(rcirc-log): Use rcirc-log-time-format instead of rcirc-time-format.
---
 lisp/net/rcirc.el | 7 ++++++-
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/net/rcirc.el b/lisp/net/rcirc.el
index 7afb625407e..af776296cea 100644
--- a/lisp/net/rcirc.el
+++ b/lisp/net/rcirc.el
@@ -229,6 +229,11 @@ rcirc-time-format
 Used as the first arg to `format-time-string'."
   :type 'string)
 
+(defcustom rcirc-log-time-format "%F %T %z "
+  "Describes how timestamps are printed in logfiles.
+Used as the first arg to `format-time-string'."
+  :type 'string)
+
 (defcustom rcirc-input-ring-size 1024
   "Size of input history ring."
   :type 'integer)
@@ -2213,7 +2218,7 @@ rcirc-log
                 (parse-iso8601-time-string time))))
     (unless (null filename)
       (let ((cell (assoc-string filename rcirc-log-alist))
-            (line (concat (format-time-string rcirc-time-format time)
+            (line (concat (format-time-string rcirc-log-time-format time)
                           (substring-no-properties
                            (rcirc-format-response-string process sender
                                                          response target text))
-- 
2.39.3