Subject: bug#66247: closed (Re: [External] : bug#66247: 29.1; Transient frame problems with Emacs 29 on MS Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66247: 29.1; Transient frame problems with Emacs 29 on MS Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66247: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66247
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [External] : bug#66247: 29.1; Transient frame problems with Emacs 29 on MS Windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:46:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
>         "[email-masked]"
> 	<[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:53:56 +0000
> 
> > > BTW, what's the rationale behind making this
> > > a frame parameter rather than just an option
> > > that affects all frames?  Presumably there is
> > > some use case for having it ON or OFF for only
> > > specific frames or groups of frames.  I'm
> > > curious what such a use case might be.
> > 
> > This comes from Unix, where each frame can be on a different X
> > display, and therefore could use a different display driver.
> 
> Aha!  Now it makes sense to me (it's been a long
> time since I used X Window).
> 
> I wonder whether it might make sense for the doc
> to say something about this?
> 
> Maybe more importantly I wonder whether it might
> make sense to add a user option that has the
> effect of turning on/off double-buffering for
> all frames.

We already have that, for every frame-parameter: customize both
initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist.  Why do we need something
else, and why should this particular parameter be different from all
the other frame parameters?

> Do you think it would be good to add an option?

No, I think it would be a needless complication.

> Anyway, this is OT for this bug, which can be
> closed, IMO.

Done.

Subject: 29.1; Transient frame problems with Emacs 29 on MS Windows
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 01:36:11 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Feel free to close this if it doesn't ring a bell or doesn't seem
actionable.  I likely won't be able to provide any more information, so
this is pretty much a "HTH".  I'm hoping I'm not the only one seeing
such problems.

With my setup, which uses `default-frame-alist' etc., starting with
Emacs 29 I notice a consistent annoyance each time I open a new frame or
change the size of a frame - which I do very often.

One change is that doing that seems to take longer; it used to be pretty
much instantaneous (on MS Windows) to create and resize frames.

But the annoyance isn't just that frame changes are slower.

If I increase the size of a frame, for example (whether by program or
dragging the edge with the mouse), What I see is that the frame size is
changed pretty quickly, as before, but I see the old  display of the
frame, undchanged, within the new frame boundary, and the rest of the
frame (the new, additional space) is just black (or maybe sometimes
white, e.g., when creating a frame?).  This is only momentary - just a
second or two, but it happens each time and is quite annoying.

I use my same setup everyday with Emacs versions from Emacs 20 through
Emacs 28 without such a problem.  Something new must be going on in
Emacs 29.

I doubt it's related, but my Emacs 29.1.2 has this info (from a
`runemacs -Q' session, though I'm sending this from a session that
uses my setup):

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-08-02 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3448)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired-aux cl-loaddefs
cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 42193 5558)
 (symbols 48 5570 0)
 (strings 32 15949 1566)
 (string-bytes 1 430192)
 (vectors 16 11529)
 (vector-slots 8 226238 11868)
 (floats 8 40 25)
 (intervals 56 235 2)
 (buffers 984 10))