Subject: bug#66246: closed (Re: bug#66246: ERC buffer is no longer visible)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 01:25:01 +0000

Your bug report

#66246: ERC buffer is no longer visible

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66246: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66246
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66246: ERC buffer is no longer visible
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], BTD Master <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 18:24:27 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

BTD Master <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I appreciate the clarification, and I think input stealing is at best
> rude and a worst a security risk, this is true. But I have gone from
> confused to aggrieved.
>
> Also, I guess Arch does not package erc-news? It does not exist. [No
> match] (It's not an issue, I don't mind)

If you mean the command `erc-news', it only exists on master. It does
expect to find an existing etc/ERC-NEWS, but you can optionally download
and display the version from emacs.git by invoking it with C-u.

> If there is still a chance to change this behaviour,

If you mean in Emacs 29, I'd say probably not. We also can't patch ERC
5.5 because GNU ELPA only allows :core packages to track master, which
is already at 5.6.

> may I recommend
> either:
> 1. erc-not-interactive as a command for programmatic use, and revert to
> the previous behavior (my preferred option) OR
> 2. erc-interactive as a command for interactive use, and tell users
> that still use erc or erc-tls or similar that they might want to
> use that
>
> Of course, if neither suggestion is good, I'll get used to the extra
> line in the configuration file, but I might bet a few GNU Bucks that I
> won't be the last filing this pseudo-bug.
>
> All the best, no hard feelings,
> b

I guess you weren't able to try the version on HEAD (ERC 5.6-git). Some
of what you propose is more or less present in the new behavior.

Thanks and closing.

Subject: ERC buffer is no longer visible
From: BTD Master <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 21:35:30 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I login through M-x erc (have also tried erc-tls with the same
results), the erc buffer is no longer visible. Emacs instead remains on
the previous buffer (in my case *scratch*). This did not happen in
previous versions.

I'm able to open the buffer when prompted when exiting emacs, but I am
not able to use it during the prompt state from C-x C-c.

Version: Arch Linux Emacs 29.1-4

Thanks.