Subject: bug#66245: [PATCH] ; Silence macOS 14 warning

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:47:34 +0100

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 03:46:36PM +0200, Eshel Yaron wrote:
> > Is it possible for you to try a before and after test of how Emacs
> > handles saving the state over a reboot? That is, have a running Emacs
> > with open files and reboot, tick the "reopen windows when logging back
> > in" option, and see if it behaves differently with this patch applied
> > and not applied?
> 
> I tried that now, and I couldn't see any difference.  With and without
> my patch, Emacs starts after reboot and shows the usual *scratch*
> buffer, with no sign of the buffers/files that I had open before
> rebooting.  (That could have been nice though!)

Thank you for testing that.

I think this should go into emacs-29, but it's unclear to me what the
(security) implications are. This change is required to fix
CVE-2021-30873, which is rated "high", however it's over a year old at
this point, and given that Apple are requiring us to explicitly set
this in our code rather than forcing it on us, does that mean they
don't consider it that big of a deal?

Eli, Stefan, any thoughts? Does this look bad enough to force a new
Emacs 29 release?

The link with the in-depth explanation again:

    https://sector7.computest.nl/post/2022-08-process-injection-breaking-all-macos-security-layers-with-a-single-vulnerability/

CVE info:

    https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-30873
-- 
Alan Third