Subject: bug#66219: closed (Re: bug#66219: 29.1.50; edebug + syntax-propertize-rules + rx =>, eager macro expansion failure)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:24:01 +0000

Your bug report

#66219: 29.1.50; edebug + syntax-propertize-rules + rx => eager macro expansion failure

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66219: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66219
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66219: 29.1.50; edebug + syntax-propertize-rules + rx =>, eager macro expansion failure
From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:23:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Next attempt to close this bug.

Subject: 29.1.50; edebug + syntax-propertize-rules + rx => eager macro expansion failure
From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:43:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-Debbugs-CC: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>

CCing Stefan who seems TRO for this.

emacs -Q
M-x find-function elisp-mode-syntax-propertize RET
C-U C-M-x

results in the following backtrace:

------------------------- snip -------------------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-function edeb...")
  error("Eager macro-expansion failure: %S" (void-function edebug-after))
  internal-macroexpand-for-load((setq elisp--eval-defun-result (let ((print-level nil) (print-length nil)) (progn (defalias 'elisp-mode-syntax-propertize #'(lambda (start end) (edebug-enter ... ... ...)))))) t)
  elisp--eval-defun()
  #<subr eval-defun>(nil)
  edebug--eval-defun(#<subr eval-defun> (4))
  apply(edebug--eval-defun #<subr eval-defun> (4))
  eval-defun((4))
  funcall-interactively(eval-defun (4))
  command-execute(eval-defun)
------------------------- snip -------------------------

Not analyzed any further, but the combination of
`syntax-propertize-rules' and `rx' seems to trigger this error.

In GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 13, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-09-26 built on sappc2
Repository revision: 34550ea8ce4b5e306a537abd9457bba5c72fca94
Repository branch: bug#58396-silence-macro-expansion-in-elisp--local-variables
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_TIME: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr help-fns radix-tree cl-print edebug debug
backtrace emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher bug-reference byte-opt thingatpt cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib find-func rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 99606 11860)
 (symbols 48 8653 0)
 (strings 32 24706 1334)
 (string-bytes 1 752499)
 (vectors 16 18560)
 (vector-slots 8 375964 20420)
 (floats 8 30 100)
 (intervals 56 930 0)
 (buffers 976 13))