Subject: bug#66219: 29.1.50; edebug + syntax-propertize-rules + rx => eager macro expansion failure

From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:43:31 +0200

X-Debbugs-CC: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>

CCing Stefan who seems TRO for this.

emacs -Q
M-x find-function elisp-mode-syntax-propertize RET
C-U C-M-x

results in the following backtrace:

------------------------- snip -------------------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-function edeb...")
  error("Eager macro-expansion failure: %S" (void-function edebug-after))
  internal-macroexpand-for-load((setq elisp--eval-defun-result (let ((print-level nil) (print-length nil)) (progn (defalias 'elisp-mode-syntax-propertize #'(lambda (start end) (edebug-enter ... ... ...)))))) t)
  elisp--eval-defun()
  #<subr eval-defun>(nil)
  edebug--eval-defun(#<subr eval-defun> (4))
  apply(edebug--eval-defun #<subr eval-defun> (4))
  eval-defun((4))
  funcall-interactively(eval-defun (4))
  command-execute(eval-defun)
------------------------- snip -------------------------

Not analyzed any further, but the combination of
`syntax-propertize-rules' and `rx' seems to trigger this error.

In GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 13, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-09-26 built on sappc2
Repository revision: 34550ea8ce4b5e306a537abd9457bba5c72fca94
Repository branch: bug#58396-silence-macro-expansion-in-elisp--local-variables
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_TIME: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr help-fns radix-tree cl-print edebug debug
backtrace emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher bug-reference byte-opt thingatpt cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib find-func rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 99606 11860)
 (symbols 48 8653 0)
 (strings 32 24706 1334)
 (string-bytes 1 752499)
 (vectors 16 18560)
 (vector-slots 8 375964 20420)
 (floats 8 30 100)
 (intervals 56 930 0)
 (buffers 976 13))