Subject: bug#66211: closed (Re: bug#66211: 30.0.50; C-x v v in vc-diff does not work with lesser versionf of patch)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:12:03 +0000

Your bug report

#66211: 30.0.50; C-x v v in vc-diff does not work with lesser versionf of patch

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66211: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66211
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66211: 30.0.50; C-x v v in vc-diff does not work with lesser versionf of patch
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:10:26 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 08/10/2023 08:01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc:[email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 01:33:37 +0300
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 26/09/2023 18:08, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>>>      diff --git a/lisp/vc/vc.el b/lisp/vc/vc.el
>>>      index 2f4b028bb4a..356da5ddfac 100644
>>>      --- a/lisp/vc/vc.el
>>>      +++ b/lisp/vc/vc.el
>>>      @@ -1724,7 +1724,8 @@ vc-default-checkin-patch
>>> 						  nil
>>> 						  "-p1"
>>> 						  "-r" null-device
>>>      -                                             "--no-backup-if-mismatch"
>>>      +                                             "--posix"
>>>      +                                             "--remove-empty-files"
>> Perhaps some other OpenBSD/FreeBSD user wants to verify this patch?
> If no one steps forward in a week or so, I suggest that you install
> this anyway.

Okay, done. Thanks.

Subject: 30.0.50; C-x v v in vc-diff does not work with lesser versionf of patch
From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:17:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The C-x v v command in a *vc-diff* buffer does not work if you have a
lesser version of patch, e.g., the one on OpenBSD:

user-error: Patch failed: patch: unknown option -- no-backup-if-mismatch
usage: patch [-bCcEeflNnRstuv] [-B backup-prefix] [-D symbol] [-d directory]
             [-F max-fuzz] [-i patchfile] [-o out-file] [-p strip-count]
             [-r rej-name] [-V t | nil | never] [-x number] [-z backup-ext]
             [--posix] [origfile [patchfile]]
       patch <patchfile

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.3, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-09-25 built on
 nitrogenium.mendeleev
Repository revision: df5a9a78b51f2f42d2dbb010e811a239fc014732
Repository branch: master
System Description: OpenBSD nitrogenium.mendeleev 7.3 GENERIC.MP#3 amd64

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/vc-backup hides /home/ams/.emacs.d/elpa/vc-backup-1.1.0/vc-backup
~/loaddefs hides /home/ams/emacs/lisp/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug log-edit message yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
add-log vc-backup vc-hg vc-git vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util smerge-mode diff diff-mode vc-fossil vc
vc-dispatcher term/screen term/xterm xterm rcirc parse-time iso8601
time-date mail-queue sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils slime-asdf grep slime-quicklisp slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations advice
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
derived cl-extra help-mode easy-mmode gud apropos compile
text-property-search arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp
comint ansi-osc ansi-color hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop
generator xref project ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template
company-bbdb company edmacro kmacro pcase cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs autoload loaddefs-gen radix-tree lisp-mnt finder-inf
disp-table vc-backup-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple
cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 229382 19817) (symbols 48 17997 0) (strings 32 59615 1393)
 (string-bytes 1 1639976) (vectors 16 24705)
 (vector-slots 8 286056 14977) (floats 8 68 481) (intervals 56 356 0)
 (buffers 984 18))