Subject: Cannot boot any recent VM built with “guixsystem image -t qcow2”

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:32:49 +0200

I’m trying to build a more recent VM image than 1.4.0.  The 1.4.0 qcow2
image that’s available for download on the Guix website boots fine, but
any image created with a current Guix cannot be booted.

I’m on Guix commit be5bec47f7942a5e4d2a30eadd9a6fa4c715e88b.

I ran

    ./pre-inst-env guix system image -t qcow2 \
        doc/os-config-lightweight-desktop.texi

to generate the VM image and then I used

    qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm \
                       -m 4096 -monitor stdio \
                       -drive file=/tmp/guixvm.qcow2,id=myhd \
                       -vnc :1

and connected Remmina to :1.

The fan spins up to top speed and I see “Booting from Hard Disk…” with
no progress whatsoever.

-- 
Ricardo