Subject: Re: bug#662: 23.0.60; Constant recentering with scroll-margin set

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 16:56:06 -0400

>> It could also be that this has to be fixed in Gnus.  I'm not sure, but I
>> remember that there was a similar issue back in 2005 where some changes
>> hat to be made in `gnus-article-next-page' and related functions in
>> order to deal with some changes in the handling of `scroll-margin'.

> Okay, the problem is the statement
> (move-to-window-line -1)
> in `gnus-article-next-page'.  If `scroll-margin' is set and greater than
> 0 it will lead to a recentering.  This is usually countered by
> `gnus-article-next-page-1', but not at the end of an article where
> `gnus-article-next-page-1' will not be called.

> The problem can be circumvented by changing the above statement to
> (move-to-window-line (- -1 scroll-margin))

> Let me know if the recentering behavior will stay like it is now, then I
> can report this to the Gnus maintainers.

BTW, shouldn't Gnus "just" set scroll-margin (and such things)
buffer-locally in its article buffer, so as to isolate it from
such problems?
Or maybe not buffer-locally but let-bound around a call to redisplay?

        Stefan