Subject: Re: bug#66190: 30.0.50; ns-use-proxy-icon has no effect on macOS 12.6.9

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 06:41:36 -0700

Version: 29.2

Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I've never even seen a real machine running macOS > 10, so I've no
>> idea what Apple have done to the title bar.
>
> It's still there in Ventura (macOS 13).  You might have to disable
> Emacs' tool-bar-mode, though, to see it.
>
>>> While we're at it, the documentation of this could be clearer; neither
>>> the manual nor the docstring explain what a "proxy icon" even is.  I had
>>> to search online, and find the above link, to understand what it is
>>> supposed to do.
>>
>> I honestly don't know what it's for. I think you can maybe drag it to
>> other applications like you can drag icons from Finder?
>
> Yup.

Thanks, disabling tool-bar-mode and dragging it to another application
works here.

I've now installed a fix on emacs-29, which should hopefully make the
situation a bit more clear [1: 3ef259e28a8].  Let me know if you see
anything there that could be improved.

[1: 3ef259e28a8]: 2023-10-01 15:37:06 +0200
  Improve documentation of `ns-use-proxy-icon`
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=3ef259e28a84049fdb4499c9ad81ed2c3216f76b