Subject: Re: bug#66181: Subject: 29.1; Occur changes don't affect Dired buffer

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:52:36 -0400

>> > Stefan, do we have any safe means of running the hooks in this case?
>> > I thought about running the buffer-local values of before- and
>> > after-change-functions by hand from occur-after-change-function,
>> > skipping the t entry, but I'm not sure this is safe.  It is certainly
>> > messy, so if there's a more elegant way, I'd like to know.
>> 
>> Arguably, the `inhibit-modification-hooks` let-binding that surrounds
>> code run from within modification hooks should be buffer-local, which
>> would solve these problems, AFAIK.
>
> Not sure I understand: we let-bind inhibit-modification-hooks in C,
> via specbind, and that binds the global value, since
> inhibit-modification-hooks is not a per-buffer variable.  Or am I
> missing something.

You're right that's what we currently do.

> Do you mean we should add a new specbind_local function that makes
> only a buffer-local let-binding?

For example, yes.  Or we could call `Fmake_local_variable` before the
`specbind`, or we could make `inhibit-modification-hooks` into one of
those vars that are "really always" buffer-local, like `major-mode`,
`buffer-file-name` and a few others.

        Stefan