Subject: Re: bug#66171: [PATCH] gnu: git: Install shell completions.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 20:41:05 +0200

Am Montag, dem 25.09.2023 um 13:51 -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> Hello,
> 
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (git)[outputs]: Add
> > “completion”.
> > [#:phases]: Add ‘install-completion’.
> > (git-minimal)[#:phases]: Adjust accordingly.
> 
> Did something change in git?  I've always had completion in git, so
> I'm not sure what this extra phase does, or when it's useful?  Does
> it add *extra* completion or... ?
Which shell are you using?  If it's zsh, then the completion is baked
in.  If it's bash, idk, I haven't tried.  I personally use this for the
included git-prompt, which allows me to have my prompt look like the
following:

  \u@\h /path/to/guix [$branch env] ($SHLVL) \$

> Also, a completion output seems a bit over the top.  I doubt its
> weigh justifies the annoyance of special casing it.
I special-cased it because it *is* a contrib script, but also as it
might be able to conflict with whatever shell builtins you have.  Now
it isn't particularly likely to do so given that other distros include
it as part of their git-core, but I prefer safe over sorry.

That being said, I could just write it to out if you prefer that.

Cheers